Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 02, 2006

Tony's Tomato Plant

My son started a tomato plant from a seed at school earlier this spring. It grew into a strong young tomato plant. He brought it home a little before Mother's Day and kept it in his bedroom window, babying it along carefully. It was about eight or nine inches high and Tony was quite proud of his success. He decided it was time to put it outside, complete with a popsicle stick inscribed with "Tony" to indicate that this was His Plant.

When he first put it outside, he stuck it in a mulched area, too close to the lawn. I explained that this wasn't a choice spot, and pointed out the garden spot for the tomatoes. We moved His Plant to the better spot and waited to watch it grow even bigger. I got two more tomato plants and planted them nearby. I planted marigolds on the edge of the garden, too, because they keep the bunnies away from the tomatoes.

I looked at the plants the other day, and decided that they didn't need their tomato cages yet. I think tomato cages are a great invention, but they look so ugly to me. Using poles and tying the tomatoes up is more work, though, so I guess I'll stick with the cages for a bit.

Two days ago, I went out to check on the weed to plant ratio. Proudly, I looked at His Plant, hoping it grew an inch or two. His Plant had been vandalized! Where His Plant had stood, there was only a tomato stump and a slightly bewildered popsicle stick. The other two smaller tomato plants were fine. I don't think I've ever been so upset about the demise of a tomato plant. The bunnies probably had nothing to do with it. I figure that maybe it was a thirsty bird.

We'll be replacing the tomato plant this weekend, but it won't be His Plant. It'll probably be the Greenhouse Plant.

I'm happy to report that the peas and beans that Tony also planted are still intact, but there's no popsicle stick planted there that says "Tony."

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

My condolences, both to Tony and the tomato plant.

I saw a shark on tv eating baby albatross birds as they rested on the water while learning to fly. Nature is rough. At least most of the birds could fly away, while the tomato plant was kinda stuck there.

My feelings (true feelings, btw): When God gives life, it is never taken away. All life ultimately comes from God and returns to Him/Her. If so, there's a tomato plant waiting for Tony.

03 June, 2006 15:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home