Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, May 15, 2006

Dance Then, Wherever You May Be

I did it. I survived Mother's Day with Mom in heaven. Praise God that I have three children of my own to keep me occupied. Matt, a special young man, also visited me to help distract me from the day. (Matt is the younger son of Marilyn and Stan, friends, confidants, and companions on my journey.) My son, Tony, had a terrible asthma attack during church and I had to leave. Then we tried to watch Mass on EWTN after we got home( and he took his rescue medication). What a mistake...

A priest gave a long winded (about 40 minutes or so) homily about Mother's Day. Unfortunately, he belonged to the Priests for Life organization. His political agenda roared over his message. It got so bad that little Tony was asking me questions that were beyond his years and understanding level. I was furious that this...priestly person....did not enlighten us about ANYTHING except his rant. He reminded me of why I fell away from the Catholic Church as a young adult. WHY DO THEY DO THAT??????? I shut off the Mass on TV. Sorry Lord...it wasn't You.

My ever-suffering husband shared the homily that Father Rich gave at our church. Ironically enough, it was about people who had fallen away from the faith. He compared them to embers that fall out of the fire. Alone, an ember will burn out pretty fast. Together, the fire endures. Thanks, Father Rich, for being a priest and not a politician.

I've learned that to survive I must endure. I've also learned to dance wherever I may be. The Lord wants me to...and I willingly oblige. The joy that my faith gives me is incredible. I focus on that. Why? I dunno...because I can? There's enough suffering in the world already, I guess. Father Priest for Life talked about how people can't come up for Holy Communion and break off a piece of the Host and hand it back, saying "I don't want this part." Sorry, the analogy is crazy...how could you want only a piece of Jesus? The Eucharist isn't the Church; the Eucharist is God. The church is wedded to Jesus...I guess the theology escapes me.

Luckily, I am still dancing and sharing love the best I can. I guess Father Priest for Life was trying to do that, too...but it didn't work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

It's hard to make the spiritual trip alone, unattached to the Vine of Christ. Maybe it's as impossible as the yet-unborn child making it through those first nine months without being attached to the Vine of Mommy.

15 May, 2006 21:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home