Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Lost

I walked into my office in Lytle Hall on Friday...and almost tripped over a huge handcart in the middle of the floor. A sad day, indeed, because once again I am being evicted. It's the nature of the business, and until I get the degree I need, I can expect it again and again. Rumor has it that we will be moved to the site of the former Chinese Christian Church on the other side of campus. Sounds cool to me...it's an adventure. My three officemates this year offered me great entertainment, consolation, singing, and more than a few laughs. Three of us will be returning, with one of us lucky enough to rise above to a tenure track position at another university. There is hope.

Imagine my surprise to find a terrific gift for me on my desk from a little angel named Nancy. Let me offer a little background here. As you can see if you visit my other blog, I use the novel Wicked by Gregory Maguire in my composition courses sometimes. This book is great, and many students like the challenge of reading a good novel. I've paired this novel with a blogging experience for the Reading Hospital nursing students. Nancy discovered this, and told me that she knew Mr. Maguire well. I was floored. She mentioned my situation to him, and he responded in a big way. Most people who are successful, talented, and famous don't have the time to reach out to people they don't know. Most people who are busy parents don't have the energy to do the same. Guess what? He inscribed one of his books, Lost, to me with a great message...not just a signature, mind you, but a thank you. WOW...

I am truly touched by his graciousness to one of his fans. I am really touched that Nancy shared her time and her friend with me. I hope that this is a sign that I should keep on trying to get my writing skills up to snuff...and perhaps have even a tiny smidgen of success with a publication and a job.

All of this turned my lost kind of day into my Lost day...the day that Gregory Maguire reached a hand over the fence to pull me over...the day that Nancy shared a touch of greatness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home