Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pilates Proud

I try to do Pilates once a week. I know, I know, I should exercise more. Still, my once a week sessions have made a great improvement in my life. I am stronger, more flexible, and hope to get even better. Anyone can buy Pilates tapes or DVDs and try the workout at home with little or no equipment. I prefer to see Gerri, my Pilates instructor, and have her work me through a session of an hour or so a week. She is great...nonjudgemental, encouraging, optimistic...a lovely person.

Pilates is named after its creator, Joseph Pilates. He was born in Germany in 1880, a sickly child. He worked on his physical gifts, and became stronger, and eventually could be called a self-made athlete. Talk about gumption! He developed a way to help people get stronger, even from a hospital bed. Pilates modified his contraptions until they became the equipment I use today. Unfortunately, there are many Pilates "knock-off" or pseudo studios around that use equipment not true to the Joseph Pilates origin. Every good Pilates instructor should be able to trace his/her training background back to Joseph Pilates himself. Note, too, that there is a West Coast/East Coast distinction.

If you do nothing else, try the hundreds. It's better and more effective than sit-ups, and you need no equipment. How do you do the hundreds? Any Pilates book or video will show you. This exercise takes little to no time, and builds up your abdominal area. Strengthening this area helps you with any physical activity. It helps people with bad backs walk without as much discomfort as before. The form is so simple, that my kids can do it. Hmmmmm....I should be doing the hundreds on my own more. Gotta work on that.

For example, I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a kid. I went to several chiropractors over the years, about once a week. I'm sure that helped somewhat, but I can honestly say that I made no great strides in standing up straighter. After my Pilates experience started, I could stand straighter. People think I am taller! Marilyn told me that I looked more firm, more athletic...wow!

Joseph Pilates...one of my heroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home