Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The DaVinci Code Movie

Well, I did it. I vacillated upon if I should see this movie or not. The reviews were pretty bad, but having invested so much time into sharing the great plot of the book with my students and having fun pointing out the many inaccuracies, I felt almost obligated to view the film in a timely fashion. I promised Padre that we'd have to watch it when it came out on HBO, but guess what? There is NO WAY I am going to suffer through that miserable piece of filmaking again. I got a call on my cell during the movie, and answered it, which should give you an idea of how lame it was. (I've never done that before, BTW.)

First of all, Tom Hanks, who I think is a good actor, is NOT Robert Langdon. He tried his best, but it just didn't work for me. He appeared as if he were forcing himself into the role, like when I try to get into a too-small bathing suit.

Second of all, the movie bashed Christians/Roman Catholics even more than the book did! Why? Is that really necessary? I think here the director is pandering to the Academy...eewwwww.....

The special effects were kind of cool...even if they portrayed historical lies. I wonder if a documentary about how The Priory of Sion was basically a prank would get as much press. I doubt it.

The weaving of the story was so weak it fell apart. It worked much better in the book.

I would like to suggest that the people who made money from the book and the movie to donate some of the proceeds to the Catholic Charities working to aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina, or to toss some bucks into Bill Gates' work in Africa. Maybe then, when they get their assigned pew, Mary Magdalene won't lobby for a lesser seat for them. I don't think she would have appreciated the "fiction" that was created.

Ah, but I guess that's for a different entry, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home