Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, May 01, 2006

The Rapture of Canaan

Wow...Sheri Reynolds has done it again...Right now I'm on page 282 out of 317. If you read William Faulkner's Light in August, you'll see a slight similarity here.

The narrator is named Ninah, and she is involved in the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind. Her grandfather is the head of the church and has some strict rules. Ninah matures and believes she is carrying the child of Jesus...and at birth the child's hands are webbed together, in a prayerful manner. Her grandfather and her family (which is basically the aforementioned church) believe that perhaps Ninah is right about the child.

Her characterizations are wonderful and so alive. Reynolds almost seems to be able to give them a soul we can see. Wish I could do that.

Anyway, I am enjoying every word. I feel like such a groupie! I plan on analyzing the structure of this novel and see if I can learn anything.

Fly Fishing

ugh...not my cup of tea, so to speak. I thought I might be able to "hard edit" the work of a man in Kutztown, who HAND WROTE his ideas in a MARBLE COPYBOOK. I was wrong. Joan typed up his work...I took one look and freaked. My friend, Sam, might be able to take over. I say might because he might "freak" too. We'll see. At least Joanie got some typing money out of it.

Friends of Elphaba

I've started another blog for the Reading Hospital course I start teaching May 1. It's at http://friendsofelphaba.blogspot.com ....Check out my students' work...you'll love it...the students at this nursing school are hard workers and great people.

Keep smiling.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home