Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Robocalls and Other Such Nonsense

Am I the only person who despises these taped announcements from candidates? I think not.

I don't like stopping what I'm doing and running for a phone when I am helping the kids with homework, grading papers, watching a TV program I haven't TIVOed, or taking a shower. The past few days I know that when my Caller ID says the call is from Wyoming, that I don't need to answer it in a hurry. Problem is, that call is then transferred to my answering machine, which I must erase.

Awful convenient that these calls are considered exempt from the do-not-call provisions...

How about those well-meaning folks who volunteer their time to support candidates outside of polling places? They hand me more campaign advertisements, as if I haven't seen or heard enough already, as I walk in the door. I just throw the things in the convenient trash can inside the door, along with everybody else's discarded advertisements. Tony approaches this differently. The candidates that he supports get their cards handed back to them, and the candidates he doesn't support get their cards trashed. Yikes...what a waste of time and effort.

If I were a candidate and I could afford it, I'd print my stuff on packets of oatmeal. At least I could lower some cholesterol or feed some birds that way. Yeah, I know some candidates use emory boards, pencils, pads or balloons, but oatmeal is so practical! If you are really concerned about your constituents, why not consider their overall health?

Maybe robocalls could be used to help folks too. For example, the phone could ring when a pollster comes to the door. Or maybe some tape machine in Wyoming could remind me to lock the door or fill the car with gas or get apples at the Giant. The calls could keep my animals from feeling lonely without human voices when I am at work. "Hello, Eliot, Lucky, and D.V. This is Blah Blah and I'm running for PA Governor. Are you good boys? The kids'll be home soon, so enjoy your peace and quiet...Oh, and have a nice day."

Ah, yes, it's election day.

Happy Birthday to my sister! Don't work too hard today, dear....and keep smilin'.
Birthday Surprise Party






1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. My phone kept ringing with robocalls on the answering machine all weekend long. The phone calls became so annoying to the point that I told my mom to make sure she didnt vote for the "nameless" candidate that kept leaving his annoying voice on our machine!. ERR. dont they realize, they annoy you, more than encourage you to give them your vote.?

-Eliza Michaud
9 Am Class
blogger wont let me log in!

08 November, 2006 18:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home