Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Changes and Challenges

I am facing a difficult crossroads at the moment. I've been wrestling with my MFA idea and wondering which path to take. Now it seems as if that whole idea is blown out of the water.
An advisor has filled me in on some realistic facts that I have to face. Creative Writing spots in universities are coveted positions, carefully guarded. One must have MANY published pieces in addition to the degree. The positions are not readily available, even with the number of people interested in such writing. Hmmmm....If I do get an MFA, I should work on it with the notion that I'm doing it for myself.
Deep breath.
Okay.
I don't leap anymore unless I commit, so this is very big information to me. Today, I am feeling my days as Professor Calderoni are numbered. Why? I am spinning my wheels, with no desire for a PhD. I tire of a system that won't give me a pension or advancement or the comfort of knowing I have a job next year. I told myself all these years that I'm doing it until the youngest child is old enough to go to school all day...well, that time is here.
I have contracts for next semester in my pocket. That's the extent of my obligation now. I'm going to explore my options and continue my writing.
**************
I wrote an acrostic set of poems around the stages of grief. (See Denial in an earlier post.) Tony and Joanie say that it is dark. I really don't see myself as a poet, but it sure is an effective way of creating a mood or working out strong emotions.
**************
Football cheerleading is ending, and wrestling is beginning. Tony Mickey had a takedown at his first practice. WAHOO! He weighs the same as last season, but he's much stronger and more flexible...must have been those swim practices. Best of all, he loves to wrestle, and his coach is outstanding. Coach Mike teaches the boys how to wrestle, be a gentleman, win, and lose...all with grace. He's a phenomenal role model of a Catholic man.
**************
Jar Jar, our Beta fish, went to the big aquarium in the sky last night. Tony and Tony had an official burial in the backyard. Tony3 put blue aquarium stones on the burial site. "Jar Jar was a good fish. He never gave anybody any trouble and he didn't smell." was Tony's eulogy. He even said an Our Father. Oh my.
Tony Mickey and I are thinking about getting Lucky a girl chinchilla to hang out with. Another oh my.
*************
Lots of thinkin' to do. I hope the Lord guides me to the right path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home