Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, November 06, 2006

Jury Duty

I fulfilled my civic duty today and reported for jury duty. Luckily, we were dismissed before lunch, as the defendant opted for a bench trial rather than a jury trial...thanks, whoever you are.

While waiting in the Jury Assembly Room we were subjected to a few hours of Fox News...most about the upcoming election tomorrow. One man actually said something like, "No wonder he said his party is ahead in the polls...if I were in his position, I would say the same thing the day before an election." Ugh...I guess we've sunk this low. This guy (who shall remain nameless and partyless) actually admits not only that he thinks somebody else is lying (no news flash there), but that he would lie if he were in that position.

I'm glad that some of the other potential jurors persuaded the staff to hit the off button on the TVs. We were all so sick of it after a while.

I got home in time to take Emma out to our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch. By now, her class should have received their report cards via the parental conferences. Emma also got to take a trip to the post office to mail her Aunt Helen's birthday presents. She dutifully told the postclerk that it was going to the Poconos and described Aunt Helen's birthday gifts and card. What a cutie! She even wished the package a good trip to Aunt Helen's house.

Don't forget to vote tomorrow...and be an informed voter. It's our only chance. Reports from Fox News this morning indicate that although the economy is good, and unemployment percentages are low, the middle class is being squeezed by rising costs and inflation...DUH! The report continued that the economy is good if you are a major corporation or among the top 1% of wage earners. It reminded me of the situation before the Great Depression. The greedy ones at the top refused to allow a penny out of their tight grasps...then BOOM! Sigh. Doesn't anybody pay attention in history class?

I usually enjoy election night coverage. I'm not so sure I'll watch this year. Too much blathering for me.....

Well, enough for Civic Duty...I've got essays to grade, dinner to cook, and wrestling practice for two hours this evening. Ciao.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10 November, 2006 13:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home