Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Saints and Souls

Today is my fifteenth wedding anniversary! I am grateful to have a partner in marriage like Tony. God sure blessed me the day I met him.
***************
Yesterday was All Saints Day and today is All Souls Day. I want to know if anybody up in heaven has seen a St. Catherine running about...or a St. Jack...or a Saint Michael or...well, you get the picture. Pray for All the souls and ask the saints to help!

I wonder how one becames a saint...in heaven, I mean. I know there's very strict rules here and the process is a lengthy one. Do you think it's the same way in heaven? How many miracles are necessary and/or are miracles necessary?

I remember reading somewhere about a woman who prayed for her deceased mother every day for seven years. She stopped praying after seven years because she figured her mother was now in heaven. How did she come to that number? Where did that idea come from? What happens to the prayers if the mother, say, gets to heaven after only four years?

I dunno. I don't think anybody knows for sure, so I'll just keep praying and hoping that those prayers get applied properly. I'm sure there's an angel assigned to that very task. Just don't ask me which choir the angel is in....I'm confused enough about that as it is.

****************
Emma is looking forward to Friday and Monday off from school. The first-graders' parents get report cards handed to them personally at pre-arranged conferences. Sheesh. I'm sending Tony to Emma's...I'll let you know how he does, as I'm sure Emma will have a stellar report card. Elena is participating in Decade Day at Holy Name today. She went to school wearing a poodle skirt. Tony Mickey is a tad disgruntled about the switch to the winter uniform this week. He doesn't like having to wear a tie. I'm hoping that someday the polo shirts would be allowed year round, especially with the trend toward casual dress in workplaces. Oh well, he looks cutie-wootie either way.
***********
Turkey Shoot








1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

I wonder how one becames a saint...in heaven, I mean. I know there's very strict rules here and the process is a lengthy one. Do you think it's the same way in heaven?

Down here, it's a matter of deciding if one is worthy of emulation (partly religious, partly political). Then, every word you wrote, every memory people have of you, is scrutinized to see if it was in strict conformance with Church teaching. Then there have to be two or three miracles (cures that are immediate, complete and lasting).

Up there, Jesus asks, "Did you love others? Did you grow? Did you forgive?" If the answer to all three is "yes," then you are a saint. Things are simpler with God.

A woman prayed for her deceased mother every day for seven years. She stopped praying because she figured her mother was now in heaven. Where did that idea come from?

God lives in the eternal "now," which does not admit of a yesterday or tomorrow. Everything is present to our Creator as now. If your great-grandmother died in 1944 and you are praying for her in 2010, the two events are happening in the now.

When I pass a cemetery, I pray for those whose bodies are interred there. So they died in 1792, or 1868 or 1983; I'm still praying for them at the moment of their death in the eternal now.

03 November, 2006 18:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home