Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Rejection and Recompense

Rejection

I got a rejection letter via e-mail for my short story today. The editor rightly stated it jumps around a bit too much and may be trying to be longer than it is. She's probably right. I'm still going to send it around to other places and then let it rest for a while. Maybe it will blossom into something else. Who knows? Besides, she asked me to send her other writing when I can, which is encouraging. Don't worry, I've got my chin up and my stiff upper lip on.

Recompense

I wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper today. Here it is....

Editor:

I would like to publicly thank the teachers and staff of St. Ignatius School in West Lawn for all they do for our kids and community. Compared to their Wilson counterparts, the St. Ignatius teachers do their job well, and are not paid close to the average salaries quoted in your recent news articles. In addition, they assist in keeping school district taxes DOWN by choosing to be employed there. I often see these teachers work long hours, tutor students without additional pay, and participate in events on weekends, also without additional pay. Many of them have advanced degrees and could easily seek jobs in the public sector. I am not alone in my great appreciation, admiration, and respect for these fine individuals.

In addition, they will be at work on Thursday and the days following, until the end of the school year, as will all the fine teachers who work in the Diocese of Allentown. Wilson School District teachers won't be there, and have rejected the public meeting offered by the school board, as well as the recommendations made by the State of Pennsylvania. Again, thank you, St. Ignatius folks, for all the sacrifices you make for our kids and community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home