Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Baptismal Journey Home

I can recall a bit about my sister's baptism, and I think it's appropriate that I share that here today. She has made the journey home to the church and I admire her courage and clear-mindedness.

I couldn't see the actual baptism, but I remember the preparations clearly. Auntie Helen was the proud godmother, and as the new big sister, I got to go shopping with her for a baptismal gown for the baby. We went to Pomeroy's downtown Wilkes-Barre store, and rode the escalator downstairs to the baby section. Auntie Helen was SO excited. She picked out a pretty dress and bonnet, and got a little white sweater to go with it because "it was cold, after all...the baby will need it!" She also bought a white blanket and an egg-shaped plastic bank with some baby kind of decoration on it. We passed some silly themed bibs, too....she got one with a skunk on it that said "I'm a little stinker"...and I remember my sister wearing it when she got old enough to sit up.

Then we rode on the up escalator, which Auntie Helen didn't like too much because it made her a little dizzy. Dad picked us up and brought us home.

Our next-door neighbor, Pete Kuderski, was Helen's godfather. I don't remember too much about him being there, though. I remember it all as an exciting time...after all, I was just-turned-five and everything was pretty exciting.

Unfortunately, soon after, my sister became very sick and had to have surgery. I remember Auntie Helen praying mightily, as only Auntie Helen could, while my parents and sister were at the hospital. My brother and I listened quietly and prayed in our own way. Everything turned out well, and I thought (and still think) that Auntie Helen had something to do with the successful surgery and the quick recovery.

I think there's some dancing in heaven tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home