Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

SOAP

My son has been looking forward to seeing a movie called Snakes on a Plane...

When we first discovered this movie, it looked campy and fun...and about snakes...right up Tony's alley. I knew immediately that it was not for me!

My son's love affair with learning about snakes inspired Joan to invite a friend to her house who lives with pet snakes. This friend brought along her husband and his (gulp) yellow Burmese Python. I dutifully took Tony over to visit with said reptile, and waited while he visited. Being this close to a snake this large, in a house...well...my nerves were shot pretty quickly. Joan had the snake wrapped around her...Tony took pictures and touched the snake. I observed its muscles moving under its skin...which is what I think bothers me the most about snakes. Fascinating and repelling. After this close encounter I drove home and had to rest.

Back to the movie. Joan and Tony decided that they would go to see this movie that created such a stir on the Internet. They have been looking forward to the release date for months. However, a small problem has arisen...New Line Cinema requested that the movie have more gore and violence and sex scenes, to appeal to the horror movie crowd. The filmakers dutifully complied and now the campy fun of watching what happens with 400 snakes on a plane has turned into Something Else. It's now rated R, rightfully. Tony is worried that it might be too much for him, although he would leap at the chance to go if I let him.

He and Joan are probably going to keep their movie date...maybe even go tomorrow...to see Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean Part 2.

Unfortunately, I will have to preview SOAP when it comes on HBO to see if it is okay...I doubt it will be, but wish me luck.

**************

Pray for Mel Gibson's successful recovery. Alcoholism is a huge demon to have to dance with.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

*
Pray for Mel Gibson's successful recovery. Alcoholism is a huge demon to have to dance with.

Egotism is an even bigger demon. Plus, those who transcend the right wing of the RC church, those beyond the Pre-Vatican II, truly believe in their anti-Semitic ravings.

Alcoholism, bad as it may be, is the least of his problems.

03 August, 2006 19:29  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

*
...the campy fun of watching what happens with 400 snakes on a plane...

Got to be the ultimate fear. There you are, genetically wired to fear snakes, but trapped in a small place with nowhere to hide. The ultimate nightmare!

03 August, 2006 19:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home