Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Serenity

Last night, I went to a Mass and a lecture featuring Bob and Penny Lord. They do not know it, but they helped set me back on a proper spiritual road a while back when I had strayed away. I took Emma with me, and joined neighbors for the drive into town last night.

I am amazed at the people who embrace being Catholic. Why? I envy their peace, their inner and outer glow the others might envy a red BMW or a McMansion. I admit it. I'm inspired by it. These people are way ahead of me in their spiritual relationships...I learn from them with every contact and delight in their company, simplicity, and humbleness.

Bob and Penny stated that they visited Holy Rosary, not at the pastor's request, but at their own request because he "feeds" them so well. Now, you and I both know that Berks County has many great places to eat...but they were talking about their spirits. I was impressed that this globe-trotting couple who research Catholic topics and run pilgrimages came to a little Italian church downtown.

Afterwards, both of them took time to talk with every person who wanted to meet them. Of course, Emma was one of the first people they spoke with...surprisingly, she became a little scared at meeting someone who she knew only through the television. They soon made her feel at ease, and before I knew it, Emma was ready for a big piece of cake and some pizza!

A friend of mine since I was a young girl happened to be there last night, too! She is the grandmother of a future seminarian. I am always happy to visit with her. She helped me out when Elena was little and I had to work. My parents lived out of town and Tony's parents were overcome with caring for his sister's children, and I had no one to turn to....until Agnes showed up at the door with a smile and a hug. I don't think she knows how much I will always love and appreciate her selfless effort. Anyway she told me a really funny story...and it's short so I'll repeat it here.

I told her about my son, Tony, who claims that he wants to be a priest because "they don't get married"...which is funny enough. She told me that her grandson, about to be married next month, used to say the same thing at Tony's age, but took it one step further. He wanted to become a Trappist monk because not only do monks not marry, but they are not required to talk to women, either. We all chuckled about that.

If you think of it, please say a prayer for Peter, who wants to be a priest for the proper reasons.

*************

Zoo update:

Elena brought home not one, but two hermit crabs. They are ensconced in a purple hermit crab home with bright green sand. Elena's name is also painted in purple on the side of the home. Sam and Dotty are a welcome addition to our happy animal group.

My in the shade of the carport thermometer is now reading 92.2 degrees with changeable weather coming. Sheesh...I sure hope the change is COOLER and SOON. Sweating 2








2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

If you think of it, please say a prayer for Peter, who wants to be a priest for the proper reasons.

That's something I've always wondered about: Just what are the right reasons?

There is a fairly conservative magazine called "The Priest." It's not reactionary; just sort of 1950, but positive. In one issue, they had an article about ministry and the author said, "People get ordained for one of two reasons: to minister or to have power. One or the other." I realized that every priest I knew came down clearly on one or the other side of that line.

When I preach about ministry, I usually say that I got ordained for the wrong reasons and I stay in it for the wrong reasons. I had my plans pretty much worked out, but things didn't go that way. I now realize that I got ordained for my reasons and I stayed in for my reasons and that's not why you become a priest. It's God's reasons and when things don't go as you planned, then you know your reasons were wrong. So you roll with it and enjoy the ride.

02 August, 2006 04:02  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

I've always considered you a gifted preacher,a good listener, and a strong people meter. God works through you in those ways and many others.
Do you remember the part in the perennial Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer when the gang visits the island of misfit toys? You reach people just like those misfit toys...people who have square wheels. I should know because I am one of them.
God works in mysterious ways...maybe you got ordained for the wrong reasons or for your reasons, but you got ordained, which is what God planned for you. The reasons are for us, not for Him.

Your ministerial work lives through other people's lives and no matter how you judge yourself, the people you touched aren't judging you...and God will reward you greatly.

See you back on the island of the misfit toys.

02 August, 2006 17:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home