Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

Superhero Competition

Well, it's been awhile. No excuses on this end, just a comment.
****************

Has anyone seen the latest reality type show on TV this season? Who Wants to be a Superhero? is a riot, although the first episode used some words I'd rather not have the kids hear. I think the editors could have edited that out. However, that being said, this show judges people by their values, not their sneakiness or ability to lie or even their athleticism.

The music is just right and Stan Lee's drawings add a great element to the show. I just told my sister and her boyfriend about the show this evening...(BTW Joe, how was that tomato sandwich?). It's on Thursday nights at 9 on the Sci-Fi Channel. Check it out on www.whowantstobeasuperhero.tv/ ....

I know most folks think reality shows are junk, but I find some redeeming merits in most of them. For example, on a recent Big Brother All Stars episode, I learned the lesson not to give up from a guy called Chicken George. He was up to be voted out of the house and thus out of the game, but had one chance to stay in the house through something called a veto competition. Anyway, during this competition, I thought at first that BBAS had crossed the line with the humiliation portion of their competitions. Chicken George showed me that you could do anything if you want to stay in the game badly enough. During the competition, he had all his hair shaved off his head, his skin dyed blue, obscenities written on his body, his normal food for 60 days taken away (he has to eat some foul food called slop), and give up his next veto competition.

I find lots of similarities in my life from these shows. Many of the people that participate in these endeavors remind me of many folks in my life. Maybe that's why I watch them.

I know that much of the behaviors I watch are examples of what NOT to do, and it brings up some great discussions with my eldest child. I'm using a broad brush here, so please don't get the idea I watch every reality show out there...I don't...

***********
Keep in mind that tomorrow is the 450th birthday of our parish's namesake...Saint Ignatius Loyola...if you can, send him a spiritual happy birthday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

Keep in mind that tomorrow is the 450th birthday of our parish's namesake...Saint Ignatius Loyola

Doesn't look a day over 400.

31 July, 2006 04:03  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

Made a mistake here...it's the 450th anniversary of his death, not his birth...but I suppose it's his birthday in heaven....

31 July, 2006 13:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home