Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, July 14, 2006

Camp Ends

Today was the last day of my creative writing camp. Whew....It's the first time that I did it five days in a row. I enjoy getting kids to write and read more. Many of them have quite some talent.

I'm thinking of using Harry Potter as a theme for next year's camp. Unfortunately, many adults don't think these books are appropriate. Sorry, folks...Harry Potter is cool and belongs in school. I want people to read books before they just jump on the bandwagon and bash them....especially children's books. Heck, I censor my choices, we all do when we pick one book over another.
Cat And Mouse Tail
I've heard of a woman calling all the local Catholic school libraries. (Sheesh, she didn't even bother to make a personal appearance to ask her questions.) Her inquiry simply was if Harry Potter books were in the library. She did not want them in our libraries. When asked if she read them, you know what her answer was...no. EGADS! I'm sure she had no objections to The Scarlet Letter, for example...or maybe some of the new "chick lit" for teens. Perhaps she even accepted the Star Wars novellas or Animal Farm. I just wonder if she even LIKES to read. Ah, yes...I feel the soapbox under my feet here....

*****

Darth Vader is still in his home. Elena has decorated the aquarium with signs that include a picture of Darth Vader. One says..."CAUTION Very smart hamster lives here." Another has a picture of the real Darth Vader and says "Darth Vader lives here. The Sith is strong in him!"

Cracks me up.

*****

Please include the following people in your prayers. All have health issues today: Aunt Agnes, who is getting chemo right now. My cousin Dawn's dad, who's not eating and suffering from some kind of dementia. Marilyn's dad, who had a bad fall & may have had a stroke. Adam's cousin in Poland, who is suffering from a bad case of Crohn's.
*****

Remember, it's a great day to read a book. What are you reading? Let me know by leaving a title in a comment.



2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

My reading list. Often, I read them in parts, or jump back and forth. I can pick up a book and continue on, even months later, and only have to go back one paragraph to get back in gear.

In no order:
1. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates.

2. Great American Eccentrics (current toilet reading).

3. Truman, by McCullough.

4. Several books on underwater maritime discoveries.

5. Several books on ships.

6. Magazines on science and trains.

15 July, 2006 05:12  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

Thanks Tom...I'm adding #1 to my list of books to dive into...sounds fun!

15 July, 2006 17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home