Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 23, 2006

Two Friends?

In today's Reading Eagle, there is an article by Knight Ridder Newspapers that points to a recent study about Americans and their friendships. It shocked me to discover that Americans say they have just two close friends. In 1985, Americans stated that they had three close friends. This question was added by a Duke University research team to the General Social Survey, conducted by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center.

Maybe I'm just lucky that I have so many people around me that I consider a friend...a person who shares this journey with me. True, I don't talk to each of them every day or even every week, but they are THERE if I need them. I have a friend who lives in Shillington who would watch my back in any situation. She has my complete trust. I have two friends in Allentown who I've turned to many times over the years in many ways. I have two friends in Endwell who are my oldest close friends...more like family, who have helped me more than they'll ever know. I have two friends in/around Wilkes-Barre who would be anywhere in a New York minute if I needed them....and have been gracious about the lack of time I have to spend with them. I'd have to say that these people are my closest friends, the ones I could call in the middle of the night who wouldn't care what time it was.

I have other friends too that come to mind immediately. One is in Poland visiting his mother right now. I call him "my brother"... Another is a biomedical engineer with a heart of gold. Another is a friend from high school, another is from college.

Then there are the people from my kid's school, and the ones who go to my church, and the kind folks in my neighborhood.

I can't forget my relatives who care about what's going on in my heart, either. I know relatives have a bad reputation, but it's not true in many cases. My husband's relatives have also become my own. Many of them are very dear to me.

I am truly blessed. God must have known that I would need all these people to walk my path. He is wiser than all of us put together.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

A friend is, I don't know ... maybe someone who...

...will keep talking with you on their cordless phone even when they are answering a call of nature ... and it's ok with both of you.

...has very strong opposite political views from yours and you still get along very well because you know the limits of conversation and respect each other's opinions, wrong may they be. :)

...knows where the tea bags are and will make a mug of tea without asking permission.

...listens closely, repeats nothing. And you don't have to ask that it be kept secret.

24 June, 2006 02:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home