Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 30, 2006

Reflection

"I would not tell you everything even if I could, for there are certain things which lose their fragrance in the open air; certain thoughts so intimate that they cannot be translated into earthly language without losing at once their deep and heavenly meaning." St. Therese of Lisieux The Story of a Soul, page 64.

The Little Flower is so right about so many things.

She is not talking about writing here; she is discussing her spirituality, her connection with God. However, this comment could easily be about writing, too. Many authors say that once they discuss their ideas out loud, for some reason the idea loses steam or disappears. I'm not simply talking about mentioning an idea or plot in a general way; I'm referring to the details of the creative piece being worked on.

It's important to remember to work it out on paper or screen before talking about it. That creation, that birth of words, needs to be held close in your heart or in your brain before you bluster it into the open air. It won't survive a premature exposition.

I took the name Therese as my confirmation name because I loved the idea of sending roses from heaven. There is a beautiful statue of this saint in Holy Trinity Church in Wilkes-Barre. My dad is still a parishoner there, and it is the church I grew up in. I know that many religious artists created to inspire faith in simple people...that's what the depictions in stained glass windows are all about. I must be one of those simple people in a way because St. Therese always inspires me. If you have not read The Story of a Soul, I would urge you to try it out. Then don't be surprised if you find roses in your life.

I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home