Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lollipop Land

Some of my favorite stories are those made up by my dear Auntie Helen. She did everything in her power to amuse us when we were small. I remember all the love and treats she handed out. She left me with a fabulous legacy, and I think that some of my child-rearing tactics were learned from her. She sang and rubbed our backs, she shared a mix she made from Tang that she called "Russian Tea," she gave us pencils from the factory, and she gave us kisses and hugs.

She helped my grandparents with whatever they needed: watching the store, handling the fire and ambulance calls, caring for her sister-in-law's mother...whatever they needed, she helped. It was quite a convenience to have her live next door! I used to wish she lived next door to us.

I like to remember how everything in her house gleamed and her sunny smile. Her stories about Lollipop Land were the absolute best. She would make up a story, in a sing-song voice, about me and my brother and sister. Lollipop Land had a big tree where lollipops grew all the time. Our adventures there were always different and reflected what was actually happening in our lives. Lollipop Land adventures ALWAYS had happy endings.

Sometimes I feel her gentle hand on my shoulder and her soft voice in my ear, telling me to put that down now and go play with the children. I always heed that voice.

I miss you Auntie Helen. I know we'll meet again in Lollipop Land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home