Name:
Location: Whitfield, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Good News and Bad News, or Both



Today is Palm Sunday, and Msgr. Treston announced that one of our Deacons, Deacon John Coffin, had died earlier this morning. A profound sense of loss, commonly felt, passed over the assembled congregation. Deacon John helped us to understand how to serve others. He died while we were all climbing the mountain to Easter, so I know he will be greatly rewarded in heaven. I shall always think of him when I hear the words to a Godspell tune: "Prepare ye the way of the Lord." He helped us prepare ourselves to meet God in a holy and worthwhile way. My children cried as Msgr. announced the sad news. Their response made me realize what an impact Deacon John had on our young people, too. Sweet dreams, Deacon John.

Yesterday we celebrated the 50th wedding anniversary of Tony's Aunt Julie and Uncle Joe. I don't think I have ever seen such a good-looking couple...inside and out. Their four daughters invited 110 people to the Towne House in Media. It's a place where they often gather, and it has the best crab cakes around.
This family is so strong, so tight. They welcomed me into it warmly, which I am grateful for...I like to watch them together because the connection between all the individuals is amazing. We are special because we are the "Reading cousins" and are not always able to be with them. One cousin, Sharon, who lives in Charlotte, has even farther to go, but her tale was extraordinary yesterday. She spent two weeks in Italy, returned on Friday, got on a plane for Philly Saturday morning and was going to fly home Saturday night. Plus, she was out on the dance floor doing the Electric Slide with the best of 'em. Her brother also came a long way...he drove in from Rhode Island. I guess Reading isn't that far after all...or maybe we're just wimpy.

I am reading a book about writing that says that writers should write about two years in a journal, then go back and read it...face it...to become a better writer. I guess I have quite a long way to go to meet that particular requirement, but this blog is a beginning. We'll see how far it goes.

"Prepare ye the way of the Lord. Prepare ye the way of the Lord."